Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Higher Standard: Do Not Give Up

It is entirely too easy to retreat to a place of safety at the slightest hint of rejection.  One thing I've noticed about myself is my tendency to give up-not just on goals or ideas that I have but on people.  I will admit, my expectations are extremely too high for other people.  If you know me and you are reading this, please forgive me for revealing these ridiculous expectations and I pray that you won't feel pressure about having to fulfill them (because probably only God can!)


My expectations are for people to: notice me; respond when I say something; listen when I talk; try to at least pretend to care about what I say; consider ideas that I reveal and not necessarily use them, but at least tell me an opinion; call me/text me back in a reasonable time frame; and to be completely frank...READ MY MIND.  I hope you know that I do realize that these expectations are totally self-centered and egotistical.  But it helps to see these in writing so that when a situation arises and I am taking things to an extreme (as I sometimes do), I can see how ridiculous my expectations truly are.
I believe that most people, whether they care to admit it or not, have some fairly high expectations in their relationships.  And when they are not fulfilled, a wall as high as the Empire State Building goes up not only for one person but EVERYONE in their lives.  Unfortunately, this leads most people to experience ONLY superficial relationships.  This is a lonely, self-defeated life.  


A calling and a challenge: Can we fight?  Can we assume goodwill?  Can we give each other the benefit of the doubt? Can we be transparent and have the courage to share our feelings with our fellow man?  Can we forgive?  Can we allow others to share their disappointments in us?  Can we reach out to someone who has offended us? Can we recover?  Can we continue to put ourselves out there?  Can we withstand rejection, knowing that we are ALWAYS accepted by Christ? Can we give ourselves and allow God to completely restore us?  Can we fight the tendency to hate and love instead?  Can we do what it says in Romans 12:2 and transform ourselves by the renewing of our minds-think and speak positively?  Can we think and act in ways that are not simple but that require effort?


Lord, let me live a life worthy of the gospel of Christ.


Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ.  Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that your are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News. Philippians 1:27


However, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.  Philippians 3:16

1 comment:

Sara Eckstein said...

This gives me so much courage. And so much excitement about how our lives can be if we take this message to heart. Thank you for sharing this.