Thursday, August 22, 2013

In our culture, where it is considered "weak" to ask for or accept help, how does one practice the art of acceptance and the JOY of receiving grace?  Today there is an emphasis on "having it together" and being perfect.  What happens when someone makes a mistake?  What happens when we ourselves make mistakes?  What about when the circumstances of life are simply too much? More often than not, the relationship is disposed of and we move on to the next relationship where we expect perfection.  In this day in age, how do we learn to bear together in love?  How do we forgive when someone wrongs us?  How do we forgive when we ourselves are not willing to forgive even ourselves?  I'm not saying that we need to lower our expectations of others to the gutter.  No, I'm simply saying that when we do 'mess up' we give one another the benefit of the doubt.  We extend the same mercy we would like to receive ourselves and we practice forgiving one another as our Father in heaven has forgiven us.  I believe that only after we have mastered this can we truly fathom how to RECEIVE forgiveness and we can begin to understand the great forgiveness and amazing grace the Father has bestowed upon us.  
God has designed a beautiful creation of balance-a delicate and necessary give and take.  You see it in nature, you see it in relationships; believe it or not you even see it in worship.  God made us to be dependent.  He made us to need one another.  We cannot make it on our own.    

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Gal 6:2

For as in one body we have many parts, and all the parts do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ* and individually parts of one another.  Romans 12:4

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 1 Corin 12:27

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Colossians 3:12, 13

This beautiful concept of balance applies also to ministry.  I find that serving is much easier than being served.  And ministering to someone else many times 'feels' more satisfying than being ministered to.  Have you ever been through a season in your life when you are too weak to minister to others or you are buried in circumstances and you NEED ministry... you need help?  I have experienced this many times and I remember thinking, 'I'm always the bird with the broken wing.  People must think I'm weak and too messed up.  They must think I'm not a real Christian.  Otherwise, why would I keep needing so much help?'  If you have had these thoughts or anything along these lines, please allow me to point out to you that these are terrible lies of the enemy.  He is using these lies to keep you isolated, to keep you from breakthrough and keep you from the freedom that Christ died on the cross for.  We ALL have seasons such as these and some are longer than others.  It is OK!  There is purpose in these seasons.  There is refreshing.  And there is new freedom to be found.  

During these seasons, I have learned to RECEIVE.  I have learned to receive love, grace, healing, refreshing, forgiveness, revelation, purpose, direction, destiny and a deepening in my relationship with Christ and others.  It is a sweet time.  And as much as my flesh despises these times of need, my spirit yearns for them and will enjoy them, relish them even-savor them.  I will learn to love to be ministered to as much as I love to minister.  There is a need and a purpose for both.  


Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart ,and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.



No comments: