I am constantly reminded of the story of Mary and Martha. When Jesus came to visit the sisters, Martha was running like crazy to make preparations but Mary rested at the feet of Jesus. When Martha complained to Jesus about her sister, Jesus said that Mary was right in her actions. Oh if I would but sit at the feet of Jesus and simply enjoy the presence of my sweet friend and King.
I believe that this quality-we'll call it the Martha quality-has been engrained in me since the beginning. (Please note: I am not putting any blame or even saying that Mom and Dad did anything wrong in raising me. It's hard to even put into words how grateful I am for the good work ethic that they taught me.)
In order to make the children aware of the Martha quality early on and teach them
the delicate balance between work and relaxation, we will make hard work AS WELL AS relaxation a part of our family's DNA. This will be a priority for the Wooten family. Balance is SO important. Below is a list of practical ways that we can incorporate relaxation into our days:
1. Set aside a specific time each day that is solely dedicated to quiet time with the Lord. Teach the kids that this is top priority in life. If the time we choose is 8:00 am then everyone goes to their own quiet place and prays, studies the word, does a daily devotion, etc at 8:00 am. Follow through is so important here. If I'm going to show them that this is truly top priority then I can't change the plan if a better activity comes along. After all, if you make a plan to meet up with a friend, you don't ditch them if you get a better offer.
2. Help the kids manage their schedules. Teach them organization from the beginning, that way as activities, homework and other responsibilities pile up, they are well prepared to manage their time wisely. I'd love for each kid to have a calendar/bulletin board/white board in their own rooms. Somewhere where they can compile all information and schedules and keep track of everything on their own. I'd also like to have a family hub in the kitchen where we would all have access to a family calendar and a bulletin board to hang notices and reminders. Each person can update as needed. This way everyone plays a part in what activities our family can and can't take part in.
3. Their are so many good things our family can do. However, it's easy to get involved in too many activities. We will make dinner time at the table together as a family a priority. If we ever get to a place where there are so many things going on we can't have dinner together, then something will need to be eliminated. The dinner table is where hearts are softened and character is built. This is where the presence of the Lord dwells in a home-the alter of the house. We will honor this principle as a family.
4. Schedule a family game night. This could be every couple of weeks or even once a month depending on the season our family is in. Not only is this fun for everyone but family bonding will take place during this precious quality time.
5. Kids will have a specific bed time where they at least need to be in their room with the lights out. Sleep is so important for a healthy body and brain. Work with the kids to avoid late night studying as much as possible.
I'm sure there are many other tips that the Lord will show me as the day approaches when I will actually be able to put this plan into action, but for now I feel like this is a good start. I can't wait to see how the Lord will bring these things about. He is faithful and I'm so thankful that as we sew we will reap. Thank you Lord for that awesome promise in your word!!!
I'm sure there are many other tips that the Lord will show me as the day approaches when I will actually be able to put this plan into action, but for now I feel like this is a good start. I can't wait to see how the Lord will bring these things about. He is faithful and I'm so thankful that as we sew we will reap. Thank you Lord for that awesome promise in your word!!!
2 comments:
This post is awesome! Well written and precise.
You're such a mom.
Thanks Neil!
Post a Comment